Like it is in politics and other fields of human endeavour, the female folk no longer play second fiddle to men. The two artistes featured in this week’s edition of Showdown, Chidinma and Yemi Alade are products of keenly contested talent hunt shows where they trounced their male counter­parts. While Chidinma emerged winner of MTN Project Fame 2010, Yemi won the maiden edition of Peak Talent Reality Show 2009.


And just like the legendary Onyeka Onwenu, late Christy Essien Igbokwe, Nelly Uchendu, Stella Monye and Evi Edna among others, they are waxing stron­ger in their careers. Today, the duo once again faces a fresh reality show contest as they lock horns on Show­down and Nigerians determine who is Nigeria’s Princess of Pop.
CHIDIMMA EKILE:
Chidinma Ekile aka Chidimma is a singer, song­writer, recording artist and stage performer. She was born in Ketu, Lagos State. An indigene of Imo State, she started singing at the age of six and hit the limelight in 2010 after winning MTN Project Fame West Africa Season 3. Today she is a brand Ambassador for MTN Nigeria and released her debut single, Jankoliko, featuring Sound Sultan, in 2011. After releasing the music video for her Emi Ni Baller single, she emerged the first female musi­cian to peak at number one on the MTV Base Offi­cial Naija Top 10 Charts. And in 2012, she won the Best Female West African Act category at the 2012 Kora Awards. Some of her songs include Janko­liko, Carry You Go, and Run Dia Mouth. Today she has performed on big stages both within and outside the country and won numerous awards.
Chidinma says her influences are Michael Jack­son, Bob Marley, Alicia Keys, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Fela Kuti, Omawumi, Onyeka Onwenu, Lagbaja and Darey Art Alade to men­tion as few.
YEMI ALADE:
Yemi Eberechi Alade aka Yemi Alade is of Yoruba/ Igbo par­entage. Born 1989, her Igbo mother, Helen Uzoma Alade is a successful businesswoman while her Yoruba father, James Alade, is a retired Commissioner of Police. Like many Nige­rian artistes, she started singing in her church choir at age 12 and was also exposed to singing and dancing competitions at a very tender age. A graduate of Geography from the univer­sity of Lagos, Yemi started her music career professionally in 2005 under the tutelage of Bayo Omisore and went on to win the maiden edition of Peak Talent Reality Show in 2009. Her debut single Fimisile which featured eLDee was a big hit that attracted over 10,000 visits on YouTube within a month. She later dropped another single entitled Ghenghen Love in 2012. Other songs from Yemi include My head O! Show Me and Ghenghen Love Remix, featuring Iceprince and Sasha.
She has performed at over a hundred stages across Nigeria and featured on tracks with major acts such as Dipp, Ice Prince, ELDee, M.I, Sauce Kid, Shank, Sir Shina Peters, Waje, Wizkid and Yemi Sax among others. She is currently signed to Effyzzie Music Group. Her latest single, Jonny, which was produced by Selebobo, is currently making waves.

…And the people’s verdict:
It’s Chidinma Nnamdi Ezenwelu, student
It’s Chidinma because she is more experienced than Yemi Alade. The artiste is not only exceptionally pretty but she is also loved by her fans. I just wish I could meet with her one-on-one.

They both may end up as Nolly­wood stars Christine Enang, banker
After watching the video of Yemi’s Jonny and Chidinma’s Oh Baby, I con­cluded that both acts may likely end up as great Nollywood stars. They can sing, and act at the same time; I hope movie makers are watching.

Chidinma is an amazing act Jenny Udechukwu, undergraduate
I think the cap fits Chidinma better. She is an amazing talent and has been growing astronomically ever since she won Project Fame’s star prize. And judg­ing by the way she is going, I think the sky would be the starting point for her music career.

I love Chidinma Chidinma Udok, customer service officer
Apart from the fact that Chidinma is my name­sake, I love everything about the Kedike crooner. She is so talent­ed, beautiful and always cheerful. All the songs that she has dropped so far are all nice. I see her breaking into the international music scene in no time.

It’s a tie Ify Mbogu, pharmacist
If not for the fact that Chidinma was also brought up in Lagos, I would have voted for Yemi because of the advantage of being half Igbo and half Yoruba. But by virtue of the former be­ing bred in Lagos, both of them are at par. So for me it is a tie; they both have awesome potentials.

Give it to Chidinma Ikwoh Janet, under­graduate
Yemi is a fantastic act no doubt but if Chi­dimma could thrash stars like Omawumi and five others to win Best Female West African Act at the 2012 Kora Awards in far-away Abidjan, Ivory Coast, who then would she not be capable of winning? Thrashing such a star was really a great feat on her part and I wish her even greater feats in her career.
Yemi’s Jonny, a masterpiece – Jenny Udechukwu, nurse
Both of them are good but since a win­ner ought to emerge in every contest, I’ll go for Yemi. Her latest song, Jonny and the video are masterpieces. She exhibited great creativity and I’m sure her best is yet to come.

Chidimma deserves the crown Robbinson Jack, Accountant
Chidimma’s works so far have proved that she actually deserved to win Project Fame. She deserves this crown be­cause of the quality of her songs and performances at live shows and videos; I think she deserves to be crowned Nigeria’s Queen of Pop.

Yemi is my choice Kolade Adenuga, banker
As for me, Yemi Alade should be the one. She is prettier, taller and more talented than Chi­dimma. Chidim­ma is great though but Yemi seems to be greater and more professional.

They are both great Adeo la Funmilola, under­graduate
If I didn’t know about their biographies I would have wondered whether their parents were musicians. Each time I observe their styles closely I notice some elements of yester-years creativity in them. They are both crafty and use their songs to tell stories like the old generation did when music was music.

Chidimma is better Abulrazaque Ademola, car dealer
Chidimma is better than Yemi. But Yemi’s Jonny is also making waves. However, if you look at them critically, you would understand that Chidimma would carry the day smoothly. That girl is awesome and I learnt that she is also very humble. She should keep it up because humility will lead her to greater heights.

Its Chidimma but… Chizoba Ejimkonye, civil servant
Before Yemi dropped her Jonny it was Chidinma all the way. But since the song came on board, she has closed in on Chi­dimma leaving just a lean gap. But I must note that they are both great talents and a pride to our great country.

Please give me Chidinma Nwoke Chinyere, businesswoman
Chidimma is better than Yemi Alade. And I want to praise the Kedike singer for the rate at which she is collaborat­ing with other artists. She once featured Phyno which was fantastic. But the one that gladdens my heart is her latest video where she featured Flavour. That will definitely give her career a big boost.

Yemi is my girl any day Olufunke Adegoke, relation­ship coach
Yemi is a won­derful act with a bright future compared to any female artiste in the Nigerian music industry. I may sound funny or a bit controver­sial to some people but I’m convinced that I am say­ing the truth. People should just wait for her to fully unfold.

Chidimma is my choice Ekaette Bridget, restaurant owner
It is Chi­dimma for heaven’s sake. She is my choice any day. I didn’t even know that Yemi had done any other song apart from Jonny. But even if she has done hun­dreds of other songs, I do not care be­cause Chidimma is a creative artiste. Yemi Alade cannot become Princess of Pop with only Jonny.

Wrong pairing Ebere Ezema, un­dergraduate
You have disappointed me after making my day in your piece last weekend. Why would you pair Chidimma with Yemi the way you erroneously paired RMD and Nobert Young before? Apart from Jonny, what other nice song can you identify Yemi with? Please, note that the day Chidimma beat the likes of Omawumi to win a Kora Award in 2012 was the day she washed her hands to start dinning with top stars in the industry. She is the rightful Nigerian Princess of Pop.

They are both good Ben Ujah, backup singer
I am into the game and I can tell you au­thoritatively that both Chidimma and Yemi are good. Both of them have a lot to offer our music in­dustry and Nigeria in general. There are some quali­ties in Chidimma that are lacking in Yemi just as Yemi lacks some of Chi­dimma’s qualities. Juxtaposing them may not be a nice idea in order to avoid creating unnecessary rivalry or cold war.

Two of a kind Joan Ibeh, journalist
My brother I would say they are two of a kind. Chidimma and Yemi Alade are loaded with creativity and by the time they finally explode; we would not only be talking about local pop princesses but interna­tional music ambassa­dors. However, I would not officially pitch tent with either of them be­cause truth is that they are amazing artistes whose bests are yet to come.

Please give me Chidinma Ifeoma Chukwuemeka, under­graduate
For Chidimma it is action speaks louder than size. She is well ahead of Yemi and should be the Princess of Pop in this country. I just pray that she is able to keep the wrong men at arm’s length and remain focused.

I prefer Yemi Lycia Oghene, undergraduate
As far as I’m concerned it should be Yemi Alade. I prefer her because I see her as far more creative than Chidimma. Besides, in terms of physical appearance and beauty, she is also better off. But I must also admit that the Kedike singer is also amazing.